Michael J. A. Berry
|A founder of Data Miners, Michael is no longer involved in its day-to-day activities. He does continue to contibute to the blog.
Together with his colleague, Gordon Linoff, Michael
Berry is author of some of the most widely read and respected
books on data mining. These best sellers in the field
have been translated into many languages. Michael is an active practitioner of data mining. His books reflect many years of practical, hands-on experience down in the data mines.
A data mining
educator as well as a consultant, Michael has taught marketing analytics in the MBA program at Boston College's Carroll School of Management. He is also in demand
as a keynote speaker and seminar leader in the area of
data mining generally and the application of data mining
to customer relationship management in particular.
to founding Data Miners in December, 1997, Michael spent 8 years at Thinking
Machines Corporation. There he specialized in the application
of massively parallel supercomputing techniques to business
and marketing applications, including one of the largest
database marketing systems of the time. He is currently Director of Analytics at Tripadvisor for Business, the B2B side of Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel website.
- Building a "best next offer" recommendation
system to improve cross selling for a large US bank.
- Analyzing the performance of competing acquisition channels over time.
- Performing customer segmentation based on
behavioral and demographic variables.
- Building a model to score the profit potential of any geographic area in the United States for a property and casualty insurer.
- Scoring customers for attrition risk for a credit card
- Analyzing web log data to characterize the differences
between registered and unregistered users.
- Helping data mining software
companies improve their products.
- Providing expert witness
testimony and litigation support for law suits involving